The MYP provides a framework of learning which encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
(Reception - Year 5) IB MYP
(Years 6 - 10) IB Diploma Programme
(Years 11 - 12) SACE (Years 11 - 12) Special Programmes Sport The Arts 1: World Strategy Student Academic Achievements
Contact Mercedes College
540 Fullarton Rd Springfield 5062
Ph: +61 (0) 8 8372 3200
Fx: +61 (0) 8 8379 9540
IB Middle Years Programme (Years 6 - 10)
The needs of our Middle School students are addressed through our Home Group structure and a curriculum that is relevant to today's rapidly changing world.
Specialist teachers support the Home Group teacher to deliver the Middle Years Programme (MYP). The MYP is a student-centred curriculum which spans five years of learning, commencing in Year 6 and concluding in Year 10 (Senior School).
Teaching and learning in the MYP involves understanding concepts in context. Global contexts provide a common language for powerful contextual learning, identifying specific settings, events or circumstances that provide more concrete perspectives for teaching and learning. The five global contexts are:
- Identities and relationships
- Orientation in space and time
- Personal and cultural expression
- Scientific and technical innovation
- Globalisation and sustainability
IB Programmes identify five Approaches to Learning (ATL) skill categories: Communication, Social, Self-management, Research and Thinking. ATL skills provide a solid foundation for learning independently and with others as well as helping students prepare for, and demonstrate learning through, meaningful assessment.
At each year level of the programme students must study a subject from each of the eight areas of learning. At Mercedes College these are:
- Arts: Visual Arts (Art or Media); Performing Arts (Music or Drama)
- Design: Design
- Language and Literature: English (our language of instruction)
- Language Acquisition: French, Indonesian or Language Appreciation (Year 10 new students only)
- Individuals and Societies: History, Geography and Civics & Citizenship
- Mathematics: Mathematics, Extension Mathematics
- Sciences: Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Physical and Health Education: Physical and Health Education
These areas of study are supported by compulsory lessons in Religious Education as well as the Growth and Personal Skills (GPS) programme incorporated into the pastoral care system.
The Personal Project, a compulsory element of the MYP, is intended to be the culmination of the student’s involvement with the five global contexts. The project is completed during the last year of the student’s participation in the MYP (Year 10).
For further information regarding the IB Middle Years Programme, please contact:
Middle Years Programme Coordinator
P: 8372 3200